The Members’ Exhibition is a display of recent embroidery by EAC members. Any one piece may only be entered in one category.
- Past winners of the Original Design Award and the Pulled-Thread Award may not enter the same category in the two years following their win.
- Deadline for shipped embroidery entries is May 6, 2019. Include a copy of your entry form with your embroidery.
Original Design Award (Professional and Non-Professional Divisions)
This award is based on an original embroidery with documentation to show the design process.
Pulled Thread Award
This award is for a pulled-thread embroidery.
Entries must be worked with a threaded needle, have been completed within three years of Seminar 2019 and not have been entered in any previous national EAC exhibition.
Seminar Theme Award
This competition is for original designs based on the seminar theme, “Beyond the Edge.” The award is chosen by EAC members attending the Members’ Exhibition.
Each entry must be accompanied by a statement of one page or less outlining the development of the design. This statement will be displayed with the piece.
Viewers' Choice Award
The Viewers’ Choice Award is chosen by EAC members and members of the public attending the Members’ Exhibition.
Seminar Group Project Award
The award was developed to acknowledge groups working together on a single project or on individual pieces that form a group presentation. Projects need not be an original design.
The Seminar Group Project Award is chosen by EAC members and members of the public attending the Members’ Exhibition.
A Seminar Group Project Intent to Submit must be received by the Seminar Committee by February 1, 2019. The Intent to Submit must state how many pieces are being submitted, whether they can be hung or need to be displayed on a table and the dimensions of each piece.
Leonida Leatherdale Award for "Innovation in Embroidery"
This award is given in honour of Leonida Leatherdale - the founder of both the Winnipeg Embroiderers’ Guild and the Embroiderers’ Association of Canada. This award will be presented for a work of needle art that best exemplifies Leonida’s vision and purpose: “to encourage and promote the practice and knowledge of the art of embroidery in all its forms…” The Leonida Leatherdale Award (LLA) will be awarded for an original design or adaptation which takes the traditional art of needlework and raises it to new heights. Use your imagination!
This category is open to all EAC members and Seminar 2019 teachers who would like to display their embroidery.
We invite members who have completed EAC correspondence courses to submit all material prepared in the course of their study for exhibition during Seminar.
- Only EAC members are eligible to exhibit embroideries. You are not required to attend Seminar to be an exhibitor.
- Check all category requirements carefully. Each entry must be worked with a threaded needle, and must not have been shown at a previous Seminar. The member entering the embroidery must have stitched the piece being entered. Any member may have embroidery displayed in the Exhibition Only Category.
- Instructors who are teaching at Seminar 2019 are not eligible the Viewers’ Choice Award or Seminar Theme award competitions. They may enter the Exhibition Only category.
- The Seminar committee is not responsible for loss or damage.
- It is to be understood that the entrants give permission for photos of their entry to be used for EAC and host chapter’s promotional purposes.
- It is recommended that embroideries with glass be hand delivered.
- The piece must be appropriately equipped for hanging or display. The Exhibition Committee is not able to supply display equipment.
- Marks identifying the stitcher will be covered until voting has been completed.
- Receipts for entries will be issued. These are required when claiming pieces after the close of the Members’ Exhibition.
- Official photography will be taken of all entries and may be used for EAC and host chapter’s promotional purposes. Unofficial photography of exhibits is not permitted.
Exhibition Entry Forms
Entry forms and a colour photograph of the entry must be received by the Seminar Committee by May 3, 2019. Late entries will not be accepted.
Mail: Barbara Gilbert, 4424 Rangemont Place, Victoria, BC V8N 5L6.
ENTRY SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS
Shipped entries must:
- arrive in a reusable box
- include a copy of the entry form
- include return postage and insurance
- include a self-addressed return label
Please have your identification on all packing materials. You will be advised via e-mail (or include a stamped self-addressed envelope) when your piece arrives.
Entries Delivered in Person
Pieces being delivered in person must include a copy of the entry form.
Entries must be dropped off at the Members’ Exhibition desk between noon and 2:00 pm on Tuesday, May 14, 2019.